Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Mag

Internet Connection Sharing

Is there anyone that can tell me how to configure the ICS. I have two machines with win 2k final 2195. I can't get the ICS to work. Anyone who knowof a good guide or something?

------------------

The Mag

Oh have I had fun with this.... NOT!

Don't try it on the same machine as you're running Active Directory and/or DNS Server. There is an article floating around on the MS site which basically says that it "may not work". I think should read "will not work". We certainly can't get it to work at work, but having said that we've not installed any of the updates - we're running plain old build 2195 on both server and client.

To do it on a machine that isn't running DNS server, simply set your IP address to 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0. Then goto to your dial-up connection and open its properties dialog. The last tab is sharing. Make sure both boxes are checked.

Then goto the client machine and set it's gateway to 192.168.0.1 and it helps if the IP address and the subnet mask are close to this too, say 192.168.0.2 and 255.255.255.0. (We have DHCP doing this for us - works a treat) Then in IE, open the Internet options box and goto the connections tab. Set the dial-up connection to "Never dial" and goto the LAN settings at the bottom. Set everything to blank in here, including all the check boxes. Don't use a proxy server or anything like that.

That worked for us, until we installed DNS server of course. We're now trying proxy software to see if that can do it with DNS installed... seems to be working so far.

Good luck,

JonL