Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anhur

Dual boot 98SE/2000 partition question

Greets all,

I have two HDs on my PC. My 2nd HD is storage for things like mp3s, games, etc. I'm currently going to reformat my C: drive and install Win98SE on a FAT32 partition (which is the same partition as the D drive). After that, I'd like to install Win2k Server in a dual boot setup. I don't know much about NTFS, so I'm unsure of what the best option is to do.

Would Win2k under NTFS be able to "see" and "use" files/folders/apps on my FAT32 drives (ie, my D drive)? I hear that FAT32 can't "see" NTFS, but is the reverse possible? I was hoping to get NTFS security while being able to utilize all my files on my D drive (where I backed up a lot of stuff like favorites, buddy lists, old email, etc).

Thanks smile

Anhur

In short yes is your answer. You nailed it. Windows 2000 can "see" fat/fat32/ntfs whereas windows98 can only see fat/fat32. So while you in windows 2000 youll beable to see all your drivers but when your in win98 you wont beable to see any ntfs drives. And dont forget about ntfs for win98 which allows you to see ntfs partitions in win98. But I wouldnt install this unless you really really need to because I have had problems after installing it. win98 is buggy enough without trying to use ntfs drivers.

correcting my typo. smile

So while you in windows 2000 youll beable to see all your "drives"