Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sensei

Partitioning in Windows 2000

Ok. Here is my dilemna. I want to try set up a duel boot between Windows 2000 and Windows Millennium. The problem is that my drive is in one big 27 GB chunk formatted in NTFS. I don't have Partition Magic 5 installed for the simple reason that it just won't install in Windows 2000. What I'd like to do is split the drive into two equal partitions and put Windows Millennium on one and Windows 2000 on the other, but I can't do that unless I can partition. How the heck can I partition this drive without having to completely lose everything? frown

Pete

Install partition magic on some other computer, copy the directory called Dos in your Partition magic dir. This is the only files needed to run Partition magic in dos.

Boot your win2k computer on a boot disk and copy the Dos dir somewhere on your harddrive.

Now run the file called pqmagic.exe

I´ve done this, it worked for me.

Good luck!

------------------

The MerceD has you...

Sys spec:

* P2-350

* 128RAM SDRAM PC-100

* Voodoo3 2000 PCI @156MHz

* SB AWE 64 Gold

* Quantum Fireball EX10.2A

* Win2k 2195

* ISDN with a ZyXel omni.net Plus

* HP DeskJet 720C

* Afga SnapScan 1212u

* Iomega USB-ZipDrive

You can also creat rescue boot disks from the Partition Magic CD under Windows2000. From past experince I have fond it to be safer to do your partitioning from a floppy.

The file PQMAGICT.EXE in the Partition Magic directory is the only file you need to convert partitions in dos.

I think you might have to format and reinstall win2k, but choose fat32 file sys

so that you can install almost any os even

linux. Every thing will run faster anyway, eg:defrag,partition magic ntfs is more for security accesing files is slower on ntfs.

OK.. Why is my partition magic 5 telling me it doesn't work with win2k.. I thought this is what everyone has been using? Any other partitioning apps that will resize a ntfs partition?

Ok, DoSFreak, can you send me that exe file if you have it? The problem is that I CAN'T install it in Windows 2000 so that option won't work for me. frown If you can, just send it to pbryant@fastlane.net. Maybe, just maybe, now I can set up a dual boot.

Pete

On your Cd, got to the :\english\dos-0s2 dir and run the makedisk file. You can do this from W2k to make PM boot disks.

If you only have a W2k machine and you can't install PM then this is how you need to do it. If you have a 9x machine then you can make a boot disk and copy some files off the CD but if you don't have a 9x machine or boot disk then you should run the makedisk utility.

Well, I made the disks, but whenever I try to boot on them it tells me it can't find NTLDR. frown Arg!

Pete

I have 2 hd's all ntfs and only win2k.. I run makedisk and get the 2 disks made but when i reboot and use the disk it says dos not found.. argg!

Sensei,

You must not format the disk under NT/Win2k, because these OSes put an NT boot sector on the disk instead of a DOS boot sector.

Go to www.bootdisk.com to make DOS boot disks if you don't have DOS/Win9x installed.

Good luck!

nova.

When I made my boot disks under W2k it put Caldera OpenDos bootup files. Strange? This was with the upgrade that I downloaded, I have not tried it with my actual PM CD but the files look the same. I am going to try it again off of the PM CD and not the download files just to see what happens.

I just ran the makedisk file under W2k and then tried to boot from those disks. Missing NT boot loader. So now I am at a loss.