Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Flatline

win98 and win2k on two different partitions

I have two partitions on my hd. In the first i'm using win98SE, in the second i use Win2k. I'm choosing between the two OS with the boot loader of win2k.

If I should reinstall win98SE, I guess I should lose the dual boot, because the install process could do a sort of "sys C:" .

Am I wrong?

With the win2k emergency disks, I've been once able only to repair the win2k boot: I mean, the system was booting (before it was not) but without the dual boot... What I'm supposed to do?

I reinstalled Win98 and I didn't lose my boot menu. I have Win98 SE on my C: and Win 2000 on my d: (Same thing you are doing but with one harddrive).

yea win9x overwrites the mbr, but u can easily fix that by inserting and starting a new win2k install and just after the first boot interrupt it and edit the boot.ini file (ie remove the line that says something like windows 2000 prof. installation..) be careful with the boot.ini tho..id recommend a backup

last time I installed Win98, Win2k picked up the new OS and added it the boot menu and made it the default. I didn't have to do anything, it may just be an isolated case, but it worked perfectly for me