Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
A-guy

Help with removing lilo from triple boot win98/linux/win2k

I got the triple boot working perfectly all on the same 14 gig drive. First win98 then linux then win2k on the last. Its wierd because neither os when installed will overwrite lilo. So its like when I boot to windows using lilo I get the win2k bootmenu. SO I have to go through 2 boot menu's. Anyways I tried removing linux and when I rebooted all I get is LI and it just sits there. I assume that this is just left over lilo. I cant get rid of it though. I tried using the win2k repair feature several times using manual and automatic and It wont go away. I had to reinstall linux to boot again. Anybody know the solution?

Use the windows 2000 cd to boot into recovery console (option under repair install). Then type in your admin password. At the command prompt just type "fixboot" (no quotes), hit Enter and reboot. This will remove lilo and leave you with just the win2k bootmenu. Hope this helps.

fixmbr was needed to remove lilo. Then I ran fixboot just to be safe. Thank you both for your replies.

If u can boot into Linux,just type "lilo -U" and the shell prompt...it will uninstall lilo from ur MBR. This is the first step if u wanna get rid of Linux in multiboot as well smile