Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Down8

From to Pro to Server: easiest way to change

Alright, I have Win2K Pro installed. I have Win2K Server, and would like to run it instead. I had Server on first, but I had a problem with my motherboard, and installed Pro to see if Server was the problem, turns out it was user error, go figure.

So, yesterday, I threw in the disk, and it said that "Upgrading from Pro to Server is not supported".

I really don't want to reinstall all of my apps and stuff. Is there anyway possible to put Server on with out doing so? Or, do I have to bite the bullet, wipe the drive and install Server from scratch?

Thanks all,

-bZj

------------------

Code:
=====ThugBox=====               =====GimpBox=====Home built system:              Just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA Mainboard          AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA ApolloPro 133A T82C694X]   Intel 486/66MHz CPU[onboard sound]                 40MB RAM [2x16, 2x4]PIII 500E [flip chip]           500MB Conner HddPNY 128MB PC100 RAM             3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDROMOEM 128MB PC133 RAM             3com Etherlink II [Ext.Transcvr]Stealth III S540 Video          Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]LinkSys NC100v2 Ethernet        pcAnywhere 9.2Adaptec AHA-1535A SCSI          [so I can leave it in the closet]Quantum Fireball 10.3GB Hdd     2 DEC SCSI Hdds [~3.5GB total]  NEC 3x SCSI CDROM [Ext.w/Caddy] HP A4331D 20" Monitor           Logitec MouseMan [Compaq]       ^in about 12 peices on my floor^Win2K Pro [v5.00.2195, SP-1]    [Will be installing Linux][format => clean install]       Norton AntiVirus 2000           Covad 768kbps sDSL w/3com switch & Flowpoint Router [sharedx6]

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 09 September 2000).]

Here are your upgrade paths for Server.

1. Win NT 3.5.1 or 4.0 Primary or Backup Domain controller to Win2000 Domain Controller.

2. Member server running Win NT 3.5.1/4.0/Win2000 to Win2000 Domain Controller.

3. Win NT 3.1/3.5 to Win NT 3.5.1/4.0 to Win 2000 Server.

You are either going to re-install the OS on the current partition you are using for Windows, or make another partition, install 2000 server on it and dual boot both of them.

Either way you will probably have to re-install all of your apps, but you won't have lost any of the stuff you probably have in your C: drive like mail, documents, favorites etc. Most of that you can copy over to the new partition when you've finished installing Server.

Now if you had Ghosted an image of Server before you downgraded it to Pro, that would be a very different story.

Wish I could be of more help here, I know how much a pain re-installs are.

Thanks for the info.

Oh well, I guess I have my plans for the weekend.

Off to work I go,

-bZj

Well, I wiped the drive and installed Server. It sucked, and I am still re-installing all my apps, but I really wanted Server.

Strangest damn tihng, even on this install, I can get Eudora working. Same freeze on start-up problem.

-bZj

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 12 September 2000).]

so, I come home from clas today, and guess what's waiting for me?

Windows ME, Commemorative Edition. I won it from Microsoft. Guess it'c time to do ANOTHER reinstall. Guess it's time for a dual boot.

-bZj

So, I have a 10gig drive, and I want/need to repartition my drive to do my reinstall.

Right now: 4gig - Win2K Server/Program Files

6gig - Files/Games

I also have 3.5gigs of SCSI drives to move my files to [2gig & 1.5gig].

Ideally: 6gig - Win2K Server/WinME/Program Files

4gig - Games

3.5scsi - Files

Now, I would like to Ghost my Win2K drive to one of my SCSI drives, or a network drive, then reformat the drive, throw Win2K back on the main partition, and install WinME [and edit the boot.ini, as necessary].

1) How does Ghosting work? Does it take up as much room as the drive it is copying, or is there some compression involved?

2) How could I [if possible] go about Ghosting to a networked drive?

3) Any suggestions for best results? I would obvioulsy like to avoid having to clean everything tou, delete and repartition the harddrive, put on WinMe, and then reinstall [again] Win2K Server, as I just got it up and running [last night was waaay too fun].

Thanks in advance,

-bZj

------------------

Code:
=====ThugBox=====                 =====GimpBox=====Home built system:                Just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA Mainboard            AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA ApolloPro 133A T82C694X]     Intel 486/66MHz CPU[onboard sound]                   40MB RAM [2x16, 2x4]PIII 500E [flip chip]             500MB Conner HddPNY 128MB PC100 RAM               3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDROMOEM 128MB PC133 RAM               3com Etherlink II [Ext.Transcvr]Stealth III S540 Video            Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]LinkSys NC100v2 Ethernet          pcAnywhere 9.2Adaptec AHA-1535A SCSI            [so I can leave it in the closet]Quantum Fireball 10.3GB Hdd       2 DEC SCSI Hdds [~3.5GB total]    NEC 3x SCSI CDROM [Ext.w/Caddy]   HP A4331D 20" Monitor             Logitec MouseMan [Compaq]         ^in about 12 peices on my floor^Win2K Server [v5.00.2195, SP-1]   [Will be installing Linux][format => clean install]         Norton AntiVirus 2000             Covad 768kbps sDSL w/3com switch & Flowpoint Router [sharedx6]

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 12 September 2000).]