Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Down8

Need to deny Guest access to Drives

OK, I hope someone can help me. My fraternity is setting up an Unreal Tournament... tournament [whatever]. I run Win2K Server, so does our president. We are bringing down the computers of everyone in the house into our living room to do this, and other people will be using our machines. We have set up Guest accounts, but we can't find out how to keep the account from accessing other physical drives on the machine. We don't want someone looking through our personal files. I tried to unshare the drives from thier default share, but that didn't help. I really don't want to crack open my machine and pull the SCSI drives.

Any help is much appreciated,

-bZj

------------------

Code:
=====ThugBox=====                 =====GimpBox=====Home built system:                Just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA Mainboard            AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA ApolloPro 133A T82C694X]     Intel 486/66MHz CPU[onboard sound]                   40MB RAM [2x16, 2x4]PIII 500E [flip chip]             500MB Conner HddPNY 128MB PC100 RAM               3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDROMOEM 128MB PC133 RAM               3com Etherlink II [Ext.Transcvr]Stealth III S540 Video            Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]LinkSys NC100v2 Ethernet          pcAnywhere 9.2Adaptec AHA-1535A SCSI            [so I can leave it in the closet]Quantum Fireball 10.3GB Hdd       2 DEC SCSI Hdds [~3.5GB total]    NEC 3x SCSI CDROM [Ext.w/Caddy]   HP A4331D 20" Monitor             Logitec MouseMan [Compaq]         ^in about 12 peices on my floor^Win2K Server [v5.00.2195, SP-1]   [Will be installing Linux][format => clean install]         Norton AntiVirus 2000             Covad 768kbps sDSL w/3com switch & Flowpoint Router [sharedx6]

Do you have to be NTFS formatted, b/c I use FAT32 so I can see things in WinME. I don't have a "security" selection.

-bZj

Yep, you have to use NTFS. You could put all your stuff on a separate partition and convert it to NTFS using Convert X: /FS:NTFS /V

Don't bother enabling the guest account. Too many permissions there.

Setup the main tournament server as a domain controller. Create a user account ie: "UT Player" and give it regular user access to the domain, or make it a member of the Domain Users Group. Enable DHCP as well so that ip addressing is automatic. Everyone connected to your domain should be able to logon with the same user account. Make sure you assign enough licensing (per seat) when you configure your server for a little more than the computers that will be connected.

That way they can play UT as long as they want via tcp/ip on the network, and they won't have access to anything, unless you share it deliberately.

You might also be able to share the actual game UT and give the "UT Player" account the increased permissions to run the game from the domain controller as well, but that would require a smoking server and fast ethernet with a switch also.

And yes you will need NTFS because you won't have any security settings to assign NTFS file permissions, which is what using 2000 Server is all about.

Hope this info will help out and let us know if it worked or another strategy suggested was better.

Clutch is the guy you want to get involved here. He is a very experienced MCSE. I'm still in my 2000 track program.

I use NTFS for win 98 in Win Me to let it see my NTFS partitions from Win Me and it works perfectly. only drawback is that c: has to be fat32 for Win Me to run.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 (allways reliable) / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 (cool but buggy) / Windows Millennium Final (waste of disk space)

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

Matrox Millennium PCI (for second monitor)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive