Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

new build of Win2k?

hey, I'm not sure if the guy that said this was a complete moron or just a half-wit...but something was said about a new version of Win2k?

I have build 2195, the retail version, in both Pro, and Advanced Server.

Is there a new build, or was he just mistakenly referring to SP1?

On both of my W2k box's I have the SP1 installed and it says it build 2195. He might have been talking about Whistler.

no, it was Win2k. He claimed he was getting OEM versions in in a week or 2.

I think he just meant SP1...but didn't I read somewhere that Microsoft was sticking to the retail, and SPs would have to be downloaded seperately?

i think he just told you that to try to impress you. Personally I think he has no idea what he is talking about, the guy probably thinks Windows ME is the newest version of Windows 2000..doesn't it ship the 14th of this month? Sounds like a week or two to me.

Ye, most of the guys that i know think that windows 2000 is the followup of Windoze 98

------------------

http://win2ktools.cjb.net

Asus CUSL2 Mobo

PIII 600EB

Creative GE F**K Force

SB LIVE! VALUE

256Mb PC133

8.4GB ATA66

BeOS5 Pro

Win2k Pro

I can just see someone doing that, trying to upgrade Win 2K with Win Me, hee hee I bet lots ofpeople try that !!

LOL. I can see them calling tech support now....oh wait they will just come here and whine because they didnt pay for either OS. What you mean windows 2000 isnt the upgrade to 98?? confused

laugh

INFERNO2000

Yes there is new ver Windows2000, All really is Windows2000 + SP1 Buildin & you can make one you self if you got CDR here how.

1. Put in Win2000 CDROM Open Windows Explorer you should see label name of the disk make a

folder at root of the disk with the same name as label name as the cdrom.

2. Copy all the files from Windows 2000 CD to (HardDisk):\(Label Name) on your HD.

3. Make a folder call it SP1 you Unzip program like winzip to extract files out of sp1network.exe

extract to the SP1 folder.

4. Go to the Update directory in the extracted SP1 directory.

5. Make a batch file called update.bat and place these lines into it:

update.exe -s :(Driver Letter):\(Label Name)

What update.exe looks for is the i386 directory. So change the (Driver Letter):\ to reflect the drive that has

the i386 directory from the Windows 2000 CD. (Label Name) is just the directory where the i386 directory

resides. In case your wondering why mine is different it's because I have the SELECT version.

6. Save the batch file and run it.

7. It should update your files and it will tell you when it is done. If it doesn't then you have done

something wrong.

8. Download CDRWIN from www.goldenhawk.com

9. Get the CD-ROM boot sector and CD Marker files from here: http://www.angelfire.com/de2/w2kcd/neededfiles.zip

11. extracted boot.bin out of neededfiles.zip copy it to (HardDisk):\temp\

12. Check The (HardDisk):\(Label Name) root of the should now have these files:

autorun.inf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should have one follow files

cdrom_ip.5 - If you are doing 2000 PRO then place this into the root.

cdrom_is.5 - If you are doing 2000 SERVER then place this into the root.

cdrom_ia.5 - If you are doing 2000 ADVANCED SERVER then place this into the root.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cdrom_nt.5

read1st.txt

readme.doc

setup.exe

This allso good time add you any other device drivers to it before you make the image of it,

(HardDisk):\(Label Name)\drivers\?\"give each set driver there owen folder"

13. Open CDRWIN and choose the File Backup and Tools option

14. In the BACKUP/TOOL Operation Choose the (Build an ISO9660 Image File)

15. in FILE BACKUP List click the DIRECTORY button and choose the directory where you copied

Windows 2000 (HardDisk):\(Label Name). Click OK. Then click the ADD button. You should see the directory in the big box now.

16. Uncheck all Box then only check the Include Hidden Files, Long FileNames(JOLIET), Include System Files, Recurse SubDirectories

boxes.

17. For IMAGE FILENAME click the three dots at the right and choose a directory and a filename. Then

click Save. You should see the pathname and the filename of your .iso in the box "Like in (HardDisk):\temp\win200.iso".

18. Check the Disable Version Numbers box.

19. Click the Advanced Options button.

20. Volume Descriptor tab.

Volume Label use the name of the original Windows 2000 CD. Volume Label :(Label Name)

Volume Set Name: (Label Name)

Publisher Name: MICROSOFT CORPORATION

Preparer Name: MICROSOFT CORPORATION, ONE MICROSOFT WAY, REDMOND WA 98052, (206) 882-8080

21. Dates/Times & Import Session tab don't nede to mess with those

21. Bootable Disc tab.

Check: Make Bootable Disc box.

Media Emulation Type: Custom

Image File Name: (HardDisk):\temp\boot.bin.

DEVELOPER Name: MICROSOFT CORPORATION

Load Segment: 07C0

Load Sector Count: 4

27. Click OK and then START.

28. When it's done open up any CDR burning program that supports .ISO's to burn your IMAGE to CD.

Ok..I've seen that before already smile

That's what I figured...it was just the SP1 thrown on...

I'll stick with my version, and throw SP1 on later...it's not like it's that difficult to throw in 2 cds....and the second one has a lot of my drivers and apps anyway :P

Nah, nobody's gonna try upgrading Win2K with WinME. I mean, think about it...

Sure, there were some dummies thinking Win2K was the upgrade path from Win9x, but they undoubtably tried Win2K, gave up, and went back to Win9x. They quit Win2K with the first, "WTF is this!?"

That leaves the only upgrade path for those specific people to be Win9x to WinME (Win9xx), IMHO.

I've updated the Slipstream info. I'll post the modified version tommorow......If I remember. (Probably won't frown )

1. Download Winzip 8.0 from www.winzip.com. Install Winzip 8.0.

2. Copy the Windows 2000 CD to "?":\W2PSEL_EN on your HD.

(?:\ = Drive letter, W2pSEL_EN = Volume Label of CD

3. Right-Click on Sp1network.exe and extract to the sp1network directory.

4. Go to the Update directory in the sp1network directory.

5. Make a batch file called update.bat and place these lines into it:

update.exe -s:"?":\W2PSEL_EN

"?"=Drive Letter

What update.exe looks for is the i386 directory. So change the F:\ to reflect the drive that has

the i386 directory from the Windows 2000 CD. W2PSEL_EN is just the directory where the i386 directory

resides. In case your wondering why mine is different it's because I have the SELECT version.

6. Save the batch file and run it.

7. It should update your files and it will tell you when it is done. If it doesn't then you have done

something wrong.

8. Download CDRWIN from www.goldenhawk.com. Install cDRWIN.

9. Get the CD-ROM boot sector and CD Marker files from here:

http://www.angelfire.com/de2/w2kcd/neededfiles.zip

10. Place the appropriate files from neededfiles.zip into the root directory of W2PSEL_EN.

Place CDROM_NT.5 into the root of the CD.

Place:

CDROM_IP.5 - If you are doing 2000 PRO then place this into the root.

CDROM_IS.5 - If you are doing 2000 SERVER then place this into the root.

CDROM_IA.5 - If you are doing 2000 ADVANCED SERVER then place this into the root.

11. The root of the directory should now contain only these files:

Autorun.inf

cdrom_iX.5

cdrom_nt.5

read1st.txt

readme.doc

setup.exe

12. Open CDRWIN and choose the File Backup and Tools option

13. In the BACKUP/TOOL Operation Choose the Build an ISO9660 Image File

14. in FILE BACKUP List click the DIRECTORY button and choose the directory where you copied the

Windows 2000 CD. Click OK. Then click the ADD button. You should see the directory in the big box now.

15. Check the INCLUDE HIDDEN FILES,LONG FILENAMES(JOLIET),INCLUDE SYSTEM FILES,RECURSE SUBDIRECTORIES. Uncheck PRESERVE FULL FILE NAMES.

boxes.

16. For IMAGE FILENAME click the three dots at the right and choose a directory and a filename. Then

click Save. You should see the pathname and the filename of your .ISO in the box.

17. Check the DISABLE VERSION NUMBERS box.

18. Click the ADVANCED OPTIONS button.

19. For Volume Label use the name of the original Windows 2000 CD. Ex: W2PSEL_EN

For Volume Set Name use the bame of the original Windows 2000 CD

Publisher Name: MICROSOFT CORPORATION

PREPARER NAME: MICROSOFT CORPORATION, ONE MICROSOFT WAY, REDMOND WA 98052, (206) 882-8080

20. Choose the BOOTABLE DISC tab.

21. Check the MAKE BOOTABLE DISC box.

22. For MEDIA EMULATION CHOOSE Custom

23. For Image File name use the boot.bin from the neededfiles.zip.

24. For DEVELOPER NAME use MICROSOFT CORPORATION

25. For Load Sector Count use the number 4.

26. Click OK and then START.

27. When it's done open up any CDR burning program that supports .ISO's to burn your IMAGE to CD.