Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DeadCats

WinME File zip/unzip in Win2K

For anyone that's wwanted to be able to ZIP or UNZIP files just like in WinME or Win98+Plus, DosFreak has done it!

In his own words..."This program will allow you to use Compressed Folders in Windows 2000 just like in Windows ME. For some reason Microsoft decided not to include this with Windows 2000. Probably because 9x is geared more towards home users and the Compressed Folders does not give the extra information which could confuse home users. There have been alot of people asking for this and I have seen something like this around the Net. Unfortunately I was unable to find it so I decided to make my own version. This version IMHO is alot better than other rips from ME I have seen."

DosFreak has given me permission to sing his praises, and this little utility definitely earn them. wink

I've tried it in Win2K, and it works like a charm. It lacks the functionality of PowerArchiver, but will well serve anyone that just wants basic zip/unzip features in the Windows Explorer shell, just like in WinME or Win98+Plus98.

If you want to check it out, I would suggest sending DosFreak a private message.

Also, I've unzipped the .CAB file DosFreak created to contain it, and have rezipped it into a .ZIP file for anyone who wants me to send it to them. The whole thing only takes up 160K in a .CAB file, or 199K in a .ZIP. Just send me a private message or an email, and I'll be glad to pass it on to you.

Thanks also go to Rave, over in 3dfiles.com, who promulgated this whole thing.

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 11 October 2000).]