Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Proxy server... couple questions

Usually I have more answers than questions **bows gracefully**, but today I've had a couple questions come up that I wanted to ask. Well, one is about Linux (which you can read about in my other post... and dont worry, win2k is involved), and the others are regarding proxy servers.

First let me start by saying that I'm unsure exactly what a proxy server is. Perhaps it would be better for me to just spill what is in my mind, and have you guys tell me if I'm just dreaming, or if I can do it.

1) I am on an ethernet network at my school

2) Obviously our internet connections are then done through CAT 5 wiring and RJ-45 connectors. We have one connection per student.

3)I have my personal PC that I am using now.

4)I need a couple more parts to finish another PC

5)Once I get that other PC done, I want to set it up as a server.

6)I want to set that server up to be the PC which is connected to the network through a 4-port 10/100BaseT ethernet hub.

7)Now, once the server is all finished and online (via the network), I want to set up my client computer (the one I am using now) to access my new server, and ALSO BE ABLE TO USE THE SERVER'S NETWORK CONNECTION TO GO ONLINE.

8)Assuming that you understand what I'm trying to do (that I explained it well)... my question is, can I do this? Can I connect to my network connection from my CLIENT computer through my SERVER by setting up my SERVER as a proxy server? And furthermore, can I do this without breaking any kind of networking rules (like the 5,4,3 rule).

9) And does this sorta turn the server into a router?

I hope this all makes sense and that you can understand it. If somebody would rather chat over icq or soemthing instead of replies to this page... its 11352183. Thanx in advance!

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

128MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

http://sandoval.dynip.com

Yes you can by installing the MS Proxy 2.0 in ur server machine!,if ur goin to install the NT 4.0 as ur server os, but if ur goin to put the win2k os then i supposed u hav to download also patch file in-order to run the MS proxy in WIN2K. or u can also install the winroute or wingate. u hav lots to choose!!! play with those progz...and select whats for u!

The easiest thing to do if your school is using dhcp is to get a hub and hook the hub into the rj45 jack and then hook the 2 computers into the hub.

Option 2, 2 network cards in the server, 1 to the school network and one using a crossover cat 5 cable to the other computer. use the Network card connected to the server and enable NAT, or Internet sharing.

I like the first one better, you can get a cheap hub from price watch 30 to 40 dollars.

*Proxy servers usually do not work well with multiplayer games if both wanted to play on say zone.com.

Well, my school doesn't use DHCP.. so option 1 is not gonna work.

Option 2... i have a hub... 6 port with one uplink port (can switch between MDI-MDIx)... and all straight through cables.

Could I do the two NIC card things... and have the one coming from the second NIC card go into the MDI-X uplink port... to do the crossover for me?

What you can do with 2 NICs is;

1. One NIC is connected to wall jack for school with fixed IP.

2. Second NIC is attached to HUB (or crossover cable) to client PC.

You can assign a traditional 192.168.1.1 to the second NIC on the server, and then use DHCP (from your server) or assign a fixed IP to the client (in this case it would probably be 192.168.1.2). You would then use a proxy server package (you can get the ones mentioned, or go to download.com and even find free ones) that will let you connect the client to the outside world through your server/school network. You server will then be used for NAT (Network Address Translation) and would kinda sorta be like a router; but a bit smarter. I think that winroute is the one that my buddy uses to get online and game with. He has an NT Server connected to a cable modem and his other machine has had Win98, WinNT, and Win2K; all successfully get to the internet.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Okay!! I got it to work using your way clutch. I have two nics in my server... the one going to the school network and the other goint to my hub with the ip 192.168.0.1 and my client at 192.168.0.2. I am using AnalogX proxy on my server.

Only question I have for you is... your friend.... those client computers that he has connected through his proxy... is their connection as fast as the server's? Cuz my client takes a hell of a lot longer to do something as simple as open a web page than it does my server.

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

128MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

http://sandoval.dynip.com

Of course there is a difference. Depending on what your server has, it has a effect on the speed of your client. Sending data from one computer to another consumes both of CPU's resources. One of my friend's network has that "laggy surfing" problem on his client comps when he uses his server to run a application or to play a game. Preferability, it's better to have a server that has at least 2 CPU. That's what I have and my clients speed is about the same as the server.