Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bobbinbrisco

norton systemworks 2001, worth it?

is it worth installing this or will it just make my system more prone to crashes? i already have NAV2000

------------------

2 Computers (networked)both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Fujitsu 17.3 GB Ultra DMA 66/10.2 GB Ultra DMA 66

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Creative Vibra PCI 128bit

Matrox Millenium G400 16Mb AGP/Diamond Speedstar 8Mb AGP

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS INternet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

I've been running SystemWorks 2001 for around a month now, with no problems.

It comes in two flavors: The $40 version gets you NAV2001, Speed Disk, Disk Docter, Win Doctor, and Clean Sweep. For $20 more you get those plus Ghost and Norton Fax.

Right now, NAV2001 is going for $19.95 at the local Staples (the closest thing we have to a "computer store" out here in the boonies).

In Win98 and WinME, SystemWorks installs a few more goodies. Aparently they either don't work or aren't needed in Win2K.

I've found Speed Disk to be substantially faster than the full version of Diskeeper, but it lacks a boot-time defrag and a couple of other features that Diskeeper has.

All-in-all, it's a pretty good set of utilities, especially if you can get it at a good price.

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

Does it put any errors in your event log. I hate software that does that.

Yep - stupid NAV2001 introduces the IRPStacksize error and I started getting winmgmt errors after I installed it. NAV7 Corporate doesn't cause the IRPStacksize errors, just Nav2001 and prior iterations of the non-Corporate NAV's.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 650@850

BE6-II Mobo with 192 mb ram

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

I haven't been able to locate any event log errors attributable to SystemWorks 2001. Could be an update fixed that?

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935