Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sk

Diskeeper 6.0 boot-time defrag VERY slow

Just upgraded to Diskeeper 6.0 server ed. Scheduled a boot-time defrag of MFT and directory consolidation. Started the darn thing before bedtime yesterday and it wasn’t finished by this morning, some 8 hours after! Also in win2k “analyse” takes about 4 minutes!

I have a PIII 500, 256 mb ram, promise Fasttrack 100 with a raid of a pair of IBM’s GXP75, 30 GB a total of 60 GB. The thing is; only 2.8 gigs is actually in use by 32.000 files. I’m using NTFS – of course.

So I would like to know what are your MFT defrag times like?

I recently reinstalled and due to Symantecs “mess-up-the-registry-and-common-files-all-over-the-place” Speedisk is no longer a program of mine. I just don’t remember Speedisk being anywhere near this slow?

SK

Perhaps Diskeeper 6.0 will be faster on subsequent runs. If you just reinstalled your OS and software the system was probably severely fragmented.

I'm using version 6.0 on an older install and haven't noticed a change in time requirements from versions 5.0 and 5.5.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks for the reply, jaywallen. How long does your Boot-time defrag actually take?

I had the same problem as well with a Win2K Pro install and Diskeeper 5. It took about 8-10hrs to complete the boot-time defrag with directory consolidation. This was on a PIII 550 w/256MB RAM and a 25GB IDE IBM hard drive.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Hi,sk.

Boot-time defrags? Let's see. On a laptop with a SLOW 12 gig drive (Is there such a thing as a fast laptop drive?) a boot-time defrag on the 2 gig FAT partition takes about 3 or 4 minutes -- with 15% free space. The 10 gig NTFS (4096 byte clusters) partition takes about a half hour, but that's with about 60% free space.

I used Diskeeper 6.0 to perform boot-time defrag on two 8 drive servers, and that initial defrag after building the systems took about four hours each. Haven't done them since then. (Only the usual MFT in two fragments is showing.) Just running the standard "set it and forget it" defrag process on those now. Those systems are at only about 8% disk capacity at present.

You should note that Executive Software says that running "directory consolidation" at boot-time on an NTFS partition is not necessary or advisable. (I have no idea why they make the option available in that case.) I only run directory consolidation on the FAT partition, when I bother at all, and that does seem to be a much more time-consuming process on the notebook computer.

Oh, and another thought. Small clusters lead to MFT fragmentation. You're not running 512 byte clusters are you? (Assuming that you're using NTFS.)

Sorry for the rambling.

Regards,

Jim

PS: Doh! It strikes me that I'm using two different versions of Diskeeper 6.0 when I work on notebook and the servers. Are you using the workstation version or the server version? I don't know if there's a fundamental functional difference with respect to boot-time defragging between the two versions, but it's at least worth considering. Sorry for the brain f*rt.

[This message has been edited by jaywallen (edited 11 November 2000).]