Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Down8

Netscape 6 dual with 4.76

Can you still dual boot, as it were, Netscape 6 with 4.7x as was possible with the pre-releases? I want it all, I know. I want to be able to make sure that my web pages work in all 3 browsers though.

Thanks,

-bZj

Actually the latest Netscape 6 is Pre-Release 3. As to dual booting, I am not sure what you are asking here? If you are talking about using both Netscape 6 and 4.7x then yes this is possible. Just install them in their own directories and everything will be fine. This works for me in both Win98SE and Win2K. ; )

man netscape 6 final is terrible, sooooo slow, images don't load, tables keep on going, memory usage gets above 20mbs.

Now IE, dynamic browser, fast rendering, below 15 always. IE is my browser for sure.

Well, I answered my own question by installing it in a different folder, so it is possible.

I don't want to sit and argue about NS v. IE again, but.... I will agree that this 'final' version is still beta quality. I've been using IE for a year now, waiting for NS6, because they screwed NS up after 3 Gold. IE is nice, because it is the lazy man's browser. You can write crap code and it will work, while NS forces designers to write clean code, which is the reason people stopped coding for NS. They were just being lazy.

NS6 is not slower than IE for loading images, as a matter of fact, IE will miss images that NS finds with no problem [4.7 and 6.0]. If tables are messed up, it is because some lazy coder didn't end his <TD> tag, which NS won't tollerate. Is there really adifference between 20MB and 15MB? If you were to add in the 5-10MB that explorer.exe uses, then you would be getting closer to the true usage of IE, as they are basically the same program.

I will keep using IE because it has all my bookmarks, but I will be using NS6 a lot more than I did NS4.x, and eventually moving over once they release some more fixes. It will be the better browser if AOL will stop fscking with it and let Mozilla code.

All I really care about is that I can use CSS in NS now. That just gives me the most raging hard-on. :P

-bZj

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 14 November 2000).]

also as MS made IE integrated to the OS so much- that is y windows is so prone to catching viruses

------------------

2 Computers (networked)both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Fujitsu 17.3 GB Ultra DMA 66/10.2 GB Ultra DMA 66

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Creative Vibra PCI 128bit

Matrox Millenium G400 16Mb AGP/Diamond Viper V770 Ultra 32MB AGP

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS Internet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

I'm browsing with NS6 now, and it is very fast in rendering pages, for me anyway. I haven't had any of the dreaded memory leaks, but I think those are more related to Win9x than NT. Here are some things I've noticed...

They have ripped off some IE things:

1) Remembering site passwords;

2) Auto-filling site forms;

3) Integration of AOL.IM is reminiscent of MSN browser;

4) F5 now reloads the page [didn't in NS 4.x].

Some things are just different than IE:

1) The area for scroll bars do not appear until the page/input box actually needs to scroll;

2) Don't view source in Notepad [NS has internal viewer];

3) Can't move toolbars around to give more viewing area, but with usless personal toolbars hidden, you get more viewing area;

4) Runs the Java console in the taskbar;

5) When going 'back' in your history, NS does not remember your place vertically on the page [you always start at the top of the page];

6) No happy 'click' when you hit a link.

Some things are worse:

1) Since most pages simply check for NS or IE, the more compliant 6.0 will go to the hacked 4.x code, which will render incorrectly;

2) I can't get the 'Home' button to show up in the Navigation bar;

3) My 'Internet "Back" Command' assigned to my thumb button on my Logitech mouse doesn't seem to work, but the Alt+LeftArrow does;

4) Some window naming doesn't work properly, that worked in both 4.7x and IE5.5 [not IE5.0];

5) When opening a new window or restarting the program, after it was maximized, the new window will be sized to fullscreen, but not be maximized.

Somethings are 'better':

1) Themes! No more using Neoplanet to have a cool browser, click, 'OK', themes is installed [try 'Sky Pilot'];

2) Finally the 'A:hover' CSS call is supported!;

3) Can finally support multiple POP3 accounts [haven't tried this yet];

4) The full install is ~40MB, while IE's is ~75MB;

5) Typing 'about:mozilla' doesn't give you a blue screen ;);

6) You are given the dimensions of any pictures you view.

Problems I've heard, but have not experienced:

1) Memory leaks/memory hogging [see for your self];

2) Problems with sercure sites [such as Hotmail & Amazon];

3) Crashing [OK, it crashed twice right after I installed it, but hasn't crashed since];

4) Unable to add MIME types [see for your self];

5) Lessened viewing area [you lose 3/16", or gain some area-depending on your view,see for your self];

6) SmartUpdate crashes [go to the 'sea' directory on the FTP server to get the full install].

7) AutoScroll for middle mouse buttons not working [works fine for me];

8) Crashing on changing/installing Themes [no problems here, except with the themes from x.themes.org].

I'll post more as I notice it,

-bZj

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 15 November 2000).]

Netscape 6 and 4.7x co-exist just fine.

However, if you've had any preview or Mozilla releases installed, make sure to blow away your "User50" directory, and any moz*.dat files you can find.

The browser works well enough, but I have to imagine that there will be a 6.01 within a month or two to fix some major annoyances.

For example, even though NS is touting theme support, the browser hangs whenever you try to switch between themes. Doh! Other things, such as remembering the page position when you go Back have been fixed in the Mozilla tree.