Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Draftsman

Newbie Converting from Fat32

When I did the install, I converted from Fat32 to NTSF. How do I go about doing the same to my other two hard drives? Partition Magic 5 doesn't work with Win2K.

Also, is there a way I can log into windows without seeing the "Login name" pop up at boot? (I'm a single user)

Thanks all.....

convert d:/fs: NTFS I think

check your help in the start menu(search for convert NTFS)

also..for the other...in Professional, this can be changed in the users/Passwords area in control panel if I remember correctly.

Very Close INFERNO2000

Converts FAT and FAT32 volumes to NTFS. You cannot convert the current drive. If convert cannot lock the drive it will offer to convert it the next time the computer restarts.

convert [drive:] /fs:ntfs [/v]

Parameters

drive:

Specifies the drive to convert to NTFS.

/fs:ntfs

Specifies that the volume be converted to NTFS.

/v

Specifies verbose mode. All messages will be displayed during conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by Draftsman:
Also, is there a way I can log into windows without seeing the "Login name" pop up at boot? (I'm a single user)

Thanks all.....

Well, there are two ways to do this. First is to get TweakUI 1.33, there is an option that lets you auto login.

The second is a registry hack, that works great, but anyone on your mahcine can get access to your password. I use this one, but I don't have an security issues, and my pass word is just my name, so it is no big deal. Here:
Code:
Add or Edit:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\(REG_SZ) AutoAdminLogon and set it to 1.You'll also need to set.DefaultUserName to the administrator name.DefaultPassword to the administrator password.

-bZj

Gawd, would everyone get away from this Partition Magic crap? When it does what it's supposed to do, it's wonderful. When it doesn't, it totally fubars your machine.

It's not the end-all and be-all. It only does what fdisk and format do, but acts as a shell for them. Yeah, I have to admit it is non-destructive. When it works right. But crap, it's just another GUI running ontop of another GUI, running ontop of another GUI...

IMHO, everyone...EVERYONE...ought to be required by law to take a good DOS class so they can see what is actually happening on their machines. laugh

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999