Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jaywallen

Office 2000 SP2

I have a partial Office 2000 installation (Access, Excel, FrontPage) on my notebook running under Windows 2000 Professional, SP1. I noted on the top page of ntcompatible today that SP2 (Note that it's not SR-2, it's SP2) for Office 2000 has been released. I figured, what the heck! I'm old, I'm retired, I don't have anything better to do than fiddle with my system anyhow. I downloaded the standalone system upgrade and ran it. It went pretty well. The system didn't go up in smoke or anything. I went into Help | About on the three apps to see if I could see evidence of a change. They are all still listed as SR-1, and there are version numbers listed as well: 9.0.4402 for Access and Excel, and 4.0.2.4426 for FrontPage.

I downloaded documentation (a worksheet) on the update, but it supplies no information about any indicators of success in the update path. Just thought I'd post this information to see if my experience jibes with the experiences of others as foolhardy as myself.

Regards,

Jim

I couldn't get the damn thing to install correctly. It kept whining about Admin rights, but I'm logged in as Admin. Whatever.

-bZj

I downloaded and installed it fine. But is I can't find any reference to SP2. Maybe MS didn't bother with them while rushing a basicaly security update for office.

Down8: I should have mentioned that the first time I tried to install, it seemed to get stuck in a loop during the Excel update. I canceled out and tried again, but I didn't have any access / privilege problems. This is funny. I keep reading about people running into permission problems when installing software under W2K, but I haven't run into it myself. I have seen some information SOMEWHERE about this, and I'll try to find it -- just in case it might be helpful to you. Have you ever had this experience before?

Igor: I did find the file version numbers for SP2. If you click on the "?" graphic corresponding to SP2 at the download site, you'll be presented with a page which includes a chart of the replaced files and their version numbers. I saved it to disk and will examine the files to see if they match up with the file complement on my system. I think it's odd that they didn't give the user an easy-to-confirm indicator of the update.

Thanks to both of you for your information.

Regards,

Jim