Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ben.Lun

What is the best way to dual boot win NT4 ws and WinME

I am trying to dual boot the 2 OS but reading the forums it is all about win2000, if someone could kindly tell me how or point me in the right direction..

thanks

I am being serious when i say this but the easiest way to do it is to buy a hot swappable drive bay and swap hard drives. One with NT on it and the other with ME. Otherwise you need to install the OS's on different partitions and edit the NT boot loader and other files. Unless you like to dig in like me I suggest forgetting about it and swap hard drives.

------------------

Frank

A+, Windows 98 and NT MCP

As far as I knwo, the NT bootloader on NT4.0 is the same as 2K, so: Install ME first, onto the C:\ drive, then install NT4 on the D:\ drive, and the NT bootloader will notice the ME installation and give you the option of booting to ME at... boot.

-bZj

What Down8 said smile. Just make sure to AT LEAST use different partitions (tho I would recommend different hard drives. WinNT (2K) will scan for other OSes, and then give you a zippy menu with a shiny new Win9x option. Joy.

wink

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Notice: You need to format C: in FAT16. NT 4.0 can't read FAT32.

Correct me if i am wrong but when i Dual boot 98 i have to put it into the primary active partition, and i THINK Me is the same way. Pleas correct me if i am wrong cause i may go back to Me/2000 rather than 98/2000 i threw out Me cause i had more bluescreens than Goerge Lucas did in the first Star Wars movie. I but i have a new copy of it and ive heard the new copies are better or somehting. I dunno, hope htis helps, Sparkhard

If you are dual booting 9x and NT/2K, then yes, you would want to install 9x on the primary active partition (normally "C"). Then, you can install NT/2K onto whatever other partition. This works because all the bootloader info (NTdetect, boot.ini, etc) sit on the primary partition, and the boot.ini points to either OS using ARC paths. Just make sure to use file systems compatible with the appropriate OS (with 2K, you have to have at LEAST seperate partitions for the OSs).

------------------

Regards,

clutch

win9x does not have to be on the primary partition and in my experience with win me you dont even have to install it first as my copy does not overwrite the winnt bootloader.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

256 Megs Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card

Matrox Millennium PCI (for second monitor)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig Maxtor HD

19 Gig Maxtor HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse

MS Natural Keyboard Pro

Not so much overwriting the bootloader, as making the proper ARC paths for you. They can become complicated for most and it's a lot easier just to install 9x first, then let NT/2K sort out the location of the OSes for the boot.ini menu options.

As far as the primary partition, this is more of an "easy way out" situation. If you are hardcore, you can take 2 existing hard drives (with NT and 98 on each), install them with the NT drive as master and 98 as slave, then modify the ARC paths yourself. This could be tested by making a custom boot floppy for NT, and then playing with the ARC paths until they work right, then copying the modified boot.ini from the floppy over to the NT partition. But, like I said, just offering the "easy way out".

wink

------------------

Regards,

clutch