Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
IdolWild

Network Workgroup problems --- Help Appreciated!

Having some problems with my workgroup - which is weird because I'm pretty sure I have everything set up right.

I have a Windows 2000 Server box and a Windows 2000 Professional box both a member of the same WG, called "EUROPA" and both have distinct statically ***igned IP addresses, with the same subnet mask.

TCP/IP, Client for MS Networks, and F & P Sharing for MS Networks are installed on the stack.

The problem I seem to be having is that the "Browse Computers" in My Network Places isn't working, it gives me a "The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available" error, and I can't map any drives.

Some of the workstation drives that were mapped to drives on the server that were set up while this setup was mysteriously working for a half a day (but not after rebooting) are still mapped and working.

I also have PCMACLAN's AppleTalk protocal loaded on both for interconnectivity to some production Macs on the network - this protocal seems to be working fine and I can get to each other's shares using it, I'd just rather use MS TCP/IP between Windows Machines.

I read somewhere about choosing a computer to be a "Master Browser" - I thought that that had something to do with being the computer responsible for maintaining the list of computers in a workgroup, and I know where to set it in Windows 98, but I can't seem to find it in Windows 2000 and I'm not sure if it would have anything to do with my problem anyway.

As far as I know no services are failing on boot.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

IdolWild

Simple things first. Can you ping the other machines on the network? If so, what name resolution method are you using? WINS? DDNS? WINS is a lot easier and is great for small workgroups. If you have it installed on the server, setup the clients to use it under the TCP/IP properties panel. If you need help, just email me.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

[This message has been edited by clutch (edited 03 December 2000).]

I can ping the internal network IP of the server from the workstation and vice versa. I wasn't using anything dedicated for name resolution (I thought on a super small network they just sort of 'detected' each other).

But on recommendation I installed WINS server on the Advanced Server machine - after installation I didn't do much in the way of configuration, is there something I have to set somewhere? I did list the IP of the server as the registered WINS server for both the professional and server machines in their TCP/IP properties, but that's about it - the problem still exists.

What now?

Thanks,

IdolWild

Stay away from NetBEUI. While it's a faster protocol for MS OSes, it's a workaround for authentication and other issues you may have. Just use straight TCP/IP.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Oh, we're giving answers? I thought we were just spouting protocols.

:D,

-bZj