Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Four and Twenty

IRPStackSize

I was looking over my event veiwer and i saw this message

The value named IRPStackSize in the server's Registry key LanmanServer\Parameters was invalid. The value was ignored, and processing continued.

It occurs at every boot.

So i did a search for the IRPStackSize key and deleted it (after backing it up to a .reg file first)

Problem solved no more error.

So does any one know what that key does?

The default settings for this value are different in NT4 and W2K. Default value for W2K is 11 (decimal). Sometimes the setting gets set to an invalid value by installation of some services or uilities. I've seen this error (Event ID 2506?) caused by someone installing Norton Utilities for NT on both NT and W2K systems. It set the IRPStackSize to a number smaller than the default, 7 I think. W2K just goes ahead and ***umes 11 if a) there is no value specified in the registry, or B) there is an invalid value specified in the registry.

I've run into the problem before, but I wasn't curious enough about it to look it up -- until you asked the question. I found an MSKB article on it just now:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q97/5/99.ASP

Regards,

Jim

You're welcome.

Don't you just love the way that the censoring spillchucker ***umes you're cussing? I guess it doesn't want to make an "***" of "u" and "me"!

ROFLMAO!