Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miku

MSN Explorer

Hi,

I tried to use MSN Explorer. It installs fine but when I tried to sign in, it starts reading my hard drive really hard for 30 secs. After that it signs in properly. Why is that so. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but didn't help.

What can I do?

Please help.

ARC

It searches for all the pirated software (Microsoft and other) that u might have installed, along with other *****, **** and DivX ;-) movies...it also fetches your private FTP ***** accounts from ANY FTP client u might have installed, checks them and reports them to the Bureau. Once the Matrix agents downloaded everything they needed for their personal use, they will hunt you down. May the force be with you my friend!

--------------------------------------------

PS - U had a choice: to install or NOT to install MSN Explorer...now u suffer the consequences wink

LOL !!

Miku, do you like it, no?

Just what I thought, uninstall the POS it's for old farts in thier 50's just like AOL anyway wink

// Toby

Actually, Palos is somewhat correct. MSN Explorer does gather information about your system and sends it to Microsoft. It is supposedly anonymous. Of course, you are also supposed to be able to turn it off in the settings. I tried this while I was checking it out. ZoneAlarm caught it trying to send out the next time I logged in. Go figure.

People, it is all about the "features", "user friendliness" and "usability" VS Security and Privacy. Since I work in the industry I can tell you that the trend seems to be to deliver more personalized content over the web. In order to do that, imagine how many things the provider needs to know about you so they (the software actually) can deliver the content YOU want to have...

On the other hand, with all this personal information being sent in the open, the real "crime" starts when the holder of the information is using it without the knowledge and consent of the owner (ie-Ads). That is the official saying anyways...if you ask me, nobody and nothing should fetch the information from my PC in the first place (without my consent).

Exactly. In a perfect world it would be nice to share all information with people. It would lead to better understanding and it would help the user out ALOT. Unfortunately this is NOT the perfect world (far from it). Online stores get hacked, Offline stores get robbed, Software is Pirated, Companies charge more for software/hardware than they should, etc, etc, etc.

It would be nice if for every single piece of software there was a BIG checkbox that stated: "Do you EVER want to send private information over the internet? Check YES or NO?" WOW! What a genius idea! I am so brilliant it is astounding. smile

Well, in this case the information being sent has nothing to do with "features", "user friendliness", or "usability". Microsoft is basically polling you computer for what type of hardware you have and what apps you use. It's basically answering a survey everytime you login.

Irregardless, it explains the excessive hard drive activity you are experiencing.

Well I can understand all that.

But is there a way to turn that off. It takes more than 40 secs to log on. Just because of that, I deframented my HD but still.

Thanks everyone for replying.

Now is there a way to turn that off?

ARC