Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

Perl on an IIS box?

Anybody have any experience running Perl on an IIS box? I want to try MRTG (www.mrtg.org) and it states that I need Perl. So, I downloaded version 6.23 (http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/Download.html), but I haven't installed it yet. Would there be any conflicts with IIS 4/5? I would like to run a seperate site on my IIS box to use this app, but would like to hear from people that are experienced in this.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I've used ActivePerl on both IIS 4 and 5, and it works just fine. The only problems I have run into are with some modules: most of them are designed under *nix, and some have a hard time compiling/running on a windows machine. MRTG has a nice win32 setup walkthrough on their website though, and it doesn't look like it needs any add-on modules, so you should be golden....

I've been using ActivePerl for a couple months now, learning Perl in my spare time, and I've had only a few problems. I think most of them are due to my using a book from a slightly older version of Perl, and the little differences between the *nix and Windows implementation.

It has a nice .MSI installer package, too.

-bZj

I will just chime in here as well in saying that Active Perl works wonders on an NT system (as I use it to run a copy of UBB). Of course the scripts that will not work are those that need to use sendmail in order to run. However many scripts lately give you the option to use other programs for mail such as Blat and Aspemail.