Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mugen C

System Volume Information

Hi There, I found this folder on my W2K box...

"System Volume Information"

It was hidden and system protected....any idea what that is...? Thanks!

regards

Mugen C

------------------

Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do!

I believe the sole purpose of that directory structure is for the Encrypted File System to use as a sort of scratch pad where it stores temporary files during the encryption process and during the key ring creation process.

that can't be it..... i'm running fat32 (no encryption possible), and I've got that directory too....

it's only ~12mb though..... no big deal

Hi There, I wasn't worry about the size being too big...just wondering what it does...If I remove it for testing purpose...do you think that may screw up my W2K? Welcome to discuss! Thanks! smile

regards,

Mugen C

------------------

Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do!

CUViper: That's interesting. (I've never tried anything but NTFS under W2K.) But I know that the function I mentioned is at least one of the functions of this directory structure. I suppose it may have others as well. Or, perhaps, it's just sitting there in the FAT32 system like an appendix, a useless organ? Are you able to access the folder, or just see it?

Mugen C: I wouldn't remove it. If you can get access to it, you might rename it. Seems safer. If something bad happens you can boot to the recovery console (if you have it installed) and rename it back. I run a dual boot W2K / W2K all NTFS system. When I'm booted up into one partition, I can access the folder in the OTHER partition, but not the same-named folder in the currently booted partition. I mean I can't even READ it logged in as Administrator with Adminstrator as System invoked. What file system are you using? If you click on the folder what happens?

[This message has been edited by jaywallen (edited 31 January 2001).]

Hi Jay, I am using NTFS on all partitions. By default...you will get "Access is denied" msg when you double click on that folder...but if you right click and goto its properties, you can tell how big the folder is, and the security setting for this folder

is "System".

I am just wondering what's the function of that folder...that's all smile

regards,

Mugen C

------------------

Yes, I can access it just fine.... being fat32, they can't lock me out of the directory. I don't know what the purpose of the directory is, but there are files that have the same icons as my desktop items, as well as some of the sblive stuff..... here's a picture of what's in mine:

explorer.gif

Very interesting. Naming conventions suggest caching of some type, don't they?

I just took a quick look on TechNet and didn't find anything other than the folder's aforementioned use as the location for the encrypted file system's temporary files. But it obviously gets used under FAT32 as well.

I'm trying not to be ambitious, but my curiosity may force me to do some research.

Regards,

Jim

Hi There, I did some research too...but couldn't find anything... frown

On the other hand, I checked mine...but it contains only one file called "Tracking.log" and the content is encrypted. too bad!

regards,

Mugen C

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mugen C (edited 01 February 2001).]