Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Poll: Why do you use Win2k?

Explain why you use Win2k over the win9x's and dont just list stability.

------------------

Celeron II 566@952 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH,

SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, Win98SE

Because I be kewl! (Ipso facto, I must then run the kewl-est OS.) laugh

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

"Talking to DeadCats is like talking to a dead cat." -MrsDeadCats, 2001

Stability for one

Multitasking

Customizability (think i made that one up)

It looks cool

It has way more features

It uses my 512 megs of ram alot better

NTFS

Security

reliability.

I don't have to reinstal it as often (The only times that I have had to reinstal win 2k

were because i wanted to repartition my hard drives or change hard drives)

Once you boot it up it gets faster as u use it not slower

No more illegal operations

I reboot when i want to.

It doesn't suck

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Whistler Pro 2296

Windows Millennium Final Retail

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

512 Megs Ram

Guillemot Maxi Gammer Cougar (TNT2 M64 w/ 32 Megs of RAM)

Matrox Millennium PCI (w/ 4 Megs of RAM for second monitor)

3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 Ethernet Card

Abit Hot Rod Pro ATA-100 RAID Controler

2 x 12.6 Gig Maxtor Hard Disks RAID 0 (for system)

1 76.3 Gig Maxtor Hard Disk (for storage)

40X LG CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Iomega Internal Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse

MS Natural Keyboard Pro

And not a single peice of software that I actually own

Pr-man: main advantages of NTFS is that it offers file-level security and uses hard disk space more efficently.

As for why I use Win2k - what Four and Twenty said (altho you should invest in partition magic 6 man as it solves all that fdisking to resize hard disk stuff :-)

Cheers,

Kaiser

My System:

DELL XPS T550 (PIII @ 550 Mhz)

320MB PC-100 SDRAM DIMMs

9&12GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drives

Toshiba 6x DVD-ROM

Sony CRX-100E CD-RW

Trust 10/100 Ethernet NIC

Hauppage WinTV Go! Card

CL SBLive Value

CL 32MB GeForce DDR

Win2K Pro (with SP1)

[This message has been edited by Kaiser (edited 02 February 2001).]

On a practical level, you probably wouldn't find much performance difference between FAT32 and NTFS.

However NTFS records a lot more file information than FAT32 so technically it's likely to be a bit slower.

If you're running a standalone machine, then either system will do.

In a networked environment, NTFS is much better choice.

Ya, you could format your drive using FAT 32, but the cluster size would be gigantic for an eighty something gig drive. If you switched the cluster size to something reasonable like say 4k then the FAT would be huge. FAT just really sucks on big drives. I got a 30 gig IBM drive back in september and I wouldn't want to format it in FAT because of the lost space I would get from FAT's inefficiencies. As far as an 8 gig drive FAT would be ok, but once you start to get into the 10 gig and up range FAT starts to become a really archaic file system.

[This message has been edited by PsychoSword (edited 02 February 2001).]

Hey pr-man, you have been posting here for almost a year now... Two possible reason´s for your post:

1. You are just checking if people here can provide you with some firsthand experience, checking if they know their OS and you have been running it yourself since at least beta3.

2. You're a complete retard, been running Win9X or NT4 for the past year, and even though you have tested win2k you are still not sure that it's better.

I am 99,99% sure it's reason no1, but whats the ****ing point ?

So whats up ? This is not ment as a flame, just confused

// Toby

I've seen some stranger posting situations. smile This one guy in the tweak forum awhile back said he was running a overclocked duron @900 or something and a Geforce 256 DDR and was "ONLY" getting 100fps or something ridiculous like that in Quake 3 1024X768 32bit LOL he wanted to compare benchmarks with other people which I though was hilarious. I decided to call his little bluff by saying if he's smart enough to overclock that processor then he surely must know that score is excellent and is in Geforce 2 GTS range. I was promptly flamed and told I should apologize by some forum sheep. HAHA

When I look at my post today I can see that it was not very nice, glad you took it right way pr-man smile

// Toby

1. ntfs is more effiecient than fat32.

2. nt platform is more configurable to the software that needs to be run. (the downside is configuring is not as easy)

3. the system is lean, because it doesnt have the modules written for automatic install and system setup like home systems i hate os's that ask too many questions.

4. the HAL is a more efficient way of managing hardware than a home os. (again sometimes a pain in the butt to deal with)

5. nt systems use system memory better than home systems. making it more stable and faster. if u have the resorces i always recommend home users learn nt.

6. security. absolutely cant beat it with a home system. if u have children (i dont) they have thier own login. parents can truly lock them out of certain things, with very little chance of bypassing security. a good nt user doesnt need a port sniffer or a firewall (non server users only). filesharing can be disabled and ports can be closed. online work should be done in a user, rather than a admin mode. a virus has to be written specifically for nt to infect critical systems.

7. i hate rebooting!! i can do a powerpoint presentation, play quake for an hour, switch to combat flight sim for an hour, then let my girlfriend log on and do a spreadsheet...all with no reboots. i just turn it off at the end of the day. 98 users cant boast that.

8. speed!!! wintune tests on 98 were about 1/2 that of nt4.0 ('cept for d3d because nt4.0 is opengl only) my cached disk tests went from 190mb/s to 290. and memory from 1100 (or so) to 1300mb/s.

then i put w2k on it and geez. cached disk jumped to 310+ and memory to 1660. processor speeds also jumped.

what can i say... nt is a mans os

smile

pretty much all the reasons above. I cant think of any new ones except for when whistler comes out that that the skinning is a big plus.