Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
areid

Win2000 SP1 installation

I've just upgraded my Win200 installation to Service Pack 1 via the 'download modified files only' option on the MSFT W2K website. The files were downloaded into c:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386 and automatically copied into the appropriate directories.

In case I need to install SP1 again I would like to do so from these files (which I will back-up onto a CD). The question is, what program(s) do I run in order to reinstall SP1 from these files? Or can't I do the installation this way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

just download the 87mb sp1network.exe file from the microsoft site and burn that file to disc or make a slipstreamed win2ksp1 cd

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EddiE314:
just download the 87mb sp1network.exe file from the microsoft site and burn that file to disc or make a slipstreamed win2ksp1 cd</font>

That would take around 6 hours at download speeds here in the UK (and we pay for connect time), so I'd have to do it overnight! Unfortunately the CD version is not yet available here.

Many thanks,
Alan

I've tried installing just from the residual files, but could not. Perhaps DosFreak or someone else more advanced can help you with this quest. Downloading and keeping Sp1network.exe is the only way I know how to do it.

Something you might also want to consider: Service Release 2 is due at any time. It incorporates all the fixes from SR1. It might be worth waiting until it's released.

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

"Talking to DeadCats is like talking to a dead cat." -MrsDeadCats, 2001

Most 'business oriented' PC mags have service packs on the cover CDs.

The current PC Pro has the sp1network.exe file on it. I used it recently to double check that SP1 was installed correctly.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bursar:
Most 'business oriented' PC mags have service packs on the cover CDs.

The current PC Pro has the sp1network.exe file on it. I used it recently to double check that SP1 was installed correctly.
</font>

Good news - I'll check it out.

Many thanks,
Alan