Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FrogMaster

Passwords & user names no longer saved

Since I have applied service pack 1, my network connections no longer save user names and passwords to connect to my ISPs.

I have searched in help, through this forum, tried to tamper with policies, to no avail...

Does anybody have a clue??

THX

Sorry I have to push this one to the top.

This prob is really boring.

I did not find any solution.

I have done a full install again. My Internet connections still do not save user logon names and passwords.

Really boring and weird. I have to type in all the stuff everytime I want to connect to any of my isps.

Any idea?

THX

Well, I don't use and kind of dial-up networking in Win2K (router or proxy based on both networks), but I do have a question. Is there a setting that you can toggle for "secure authentication" (or something similar) in your RAS parameters? Usually, a toggle like this will allow a user to either retain the user info, or remove it entirely for security reasons. In addition, if it were "set" in this manner, then a reinstall onto and existing installation would keep this setting in the new system. I will see what I can find on one of my NT servers at work (I have a couple with modems on them) and see if I can freshen my memory on this topic.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Thanks Clutch for giving some of your time to my prob.

The connections I'm talking about are VPN/PPTP to connect to my isps via ADSL.

For that type of connection you have an user logon in the form "username@ispname.somedomainname"

and a password which is anything you define.

The user name is a string given by the isps. You cannot change this.

I have 2 win2k machines and 2 win98 machines on my home network. The win98 ones rememeber names/passwords while the W2K ones no longer do since sp1 was applied.

Generally, if you can see all the shares on the Win2K box from the other clients, then they should be able to see the printer share as well. Make sure that the printer is shared out and that it's set to "everyone". Also, try logging on to the WinME box with the same account that you log on to the Win2K box with. Also, are they in the same domain/workgroup?

------------------

Regards,

clutch